We love the recipes of this blog! Cotter Crunch has the best gluten free and vegan recipes. This Creamy Artichoke Pea soup recipe is perfect for Spring!
For the soup
- One tbsp olive oil or butter for the pan
- 2/3 cup chopped onion or shallot
- pinch of sea salt or kosher salt
- 1 3/4 cups to 2 cups purified water or broth (the more liquid you use, the thinner the soup)
- 12 oz fresh or frozen green peas
- 1/3 cup artichoke hearts (canned or from jar)
- One medium avocado
- A garlic clove or 2 tsp minced
- 3–4 fresh basil leaves (extra to garnish)
- Half a cup greek yogurt (7 ounces) or coconut milk/cream
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Half a tsp red pepper flakes (reduce for less spicy version)
- sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste
For the toppings
You can use, Garlic or herb infused oil or gluten free cracker crumbs or green onions and fresh herb. There is also the option to drizzle of or non dairy cream or creme fraiche.
- Start with melting the butter or oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add onion and saute until onions are fragrant, but not too brown. For 5 minutes or so.
- Then, add pinch of sea salt and water or broth to a saucepan. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Add your peas and your artichokes and cook, stirring occasionally, until peas are tender. This will take about 2 -3 minutes. Reduce to medium low to low.
- Place pea soup mixture in a blender . Then add in avocado, garlic, basil, yogurt, black pepper, and chili flakes. (see her notes on her page)
- Then blend on medium to medium-high for 2-3 minutes until creamy texture is formed.
- Place soup back into pot. Add salt and pepper to taste and stir until combined. You can serve warm or you can also allow soup to chill in fridge for 30 minutes.
- Spoon into bowls and drizzle with your favorite toppings. Garnish with cracked pepper, toasted nuts or gluten free seed crackers (crushed), and extra basil.
Keeps best in fridge (covered and sealed) for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
See Cotter Crunch’s note on her page to get more tips about this Creamy Artichoke Pea soup.
Dining plates used for this recipe of Creamy Artichoke Pea soup: Caractere range in MINT color.
Need advice to get the right dinnerware? Here is A New Buyer’s Guide.