Here is a great recipe reviewed by Veronica LePinske using the TAJINE dish. It is a fresh and gourmet recipe of a Chicken Tajine, adding preserved lemons for a delicious tasty plate. Make with friends and impress your guests!
FOR THE PRESERVED LEMONS
- 4-5 fresh lemons
- 5-6 tsp. sea salt
FOR THE SPICE MIX
- 3 ½ Tbsp. sweet paprika
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp. ground coriander
- 1 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 Tbsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. ground cardamom
- 2 ½ tsp. ground allspice
FOR THE TAJINE
- 8 chicken thighs, approximately 3 pounds
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 Tbsp spice mix
- ⅓ c. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Roma tomatoes
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into bite-size florets
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger
- One pinch saffron
- 1 tsp. tomato paste
- 2 c. chicken stock, homemade or low-sodium
- 3 Tbsp. preserved lemons, approximately 2 lemons, roughly chopped
- 1 c. green olives, like Castelvetranos
- ½ bunch cilantro, leaves picked and stems discarded
Make the preserved lemons
First, make the preserved lemons at least 3 days prior to using them. Then, slice 3 lemons in half and coat the cut surface in sea salt. After this, pack tightly in a small jar and add some more salt, then fill the jar up with juice from the remaining lemon. Finally, let sit for 3 days before use. You can save this for up to 3 months.
Make the tajine
- First, combine the spices in a dry sauté pan set over low heat. Second, toast the spices gently. Continue until they release their fragrance for about 2 minutes. Finally, allow them to cool in a bowl.
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Season the chicken thighs with salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons of the spice mix. Finish with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Boil salted water. Set a large bowl of ice water to the side. Core the tomatoes, and score an X on their bottoms. Boil the cauliflower florets in the water for 3 minutes. After 3 minutes, finish the cooking by submerging them in ice water. Then briefly boil the tomatoes. Finish by chilling them in ice water. Remove the cauliflower when it is cold, and pat dry. Peel the skin from the tomatoes. Cut the tomatoes in quarters lengthwise. Trim away the seeds to make petals.
- In addition, heat the remaining olive oil in a large sauté pan set over medium heat, and sear the chicken in batches, starting skin-side down, until the thighs are browned. Remove the chicken to the REVOL TAJINE. Remove all but two tablespoons of the fat in pan, then return it to the heat. Brown the cauliflower and add to the chicken.
- Reduce heat. Add the onion, garlic, ginger and saffron. Then, cook, stirring, until the onions are translucent for about 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and chicken stock, and simmer until reduced by 1/3.
- Pour sauce over the chicken and cauliflower, cover the pot and transfer to oven for 20 minutes. To finish, stir in the tomatoes, preserved lemon and olives. After that, cover the pot again. Finish by cooking for an additional 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
Serve the chicken directly in the Tajine garnished with the cilantro leaves and couscous.