Roast chicken with bacon blanket is a recipe by Elizabeth Karmel using the Chicken roaster.
Total time 2 hours
- whole chicken 3-5 pounds
- 2 leg quarters
- 2 heads of garlic, separated but not peeled
- 10 medium shallots, unpeeled
- 8-10 pieces favorite think-cut bacon
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Salt and pepper
- Remove chicken from wrapper and pat dry with paper towels. Brush all over with olive oil and kosher salt. Place the chicken in the center of the French chicken roaster andc over breast with strips of bacon. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, put the garlic cloves and shallots in a bowl and drizzle with oil. Toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Toss again to distribute the seasoning. Scatter the garlic and shallots around the bottom of the chicken roaster.
- Place the pan on the center shelf of the pre-heated oven or in the center of the cooking grate of an outdoor grill. Roast for about 1 to 1 ½ hours or until the skin and the bacon is crisp and brown. An instant-read meat thermometer should read 170˚F in the thickest part of the thigh-not touching the bone and where juices should run clear.
- Stir garlic and shallots occasionally to baste in the chicken and bacon juices and to prevent burning. If the shallots and garlic are roasted before the chicken is done, remove from the roasting pan and replace the chicken until it is done. If making gravy, remove drippings from the pan and keep shallots and garlic warm until ready to serve.
- When the chicken is done, remove and let sit for 10-15 minutes before carving.
- This Roast chicken serves 4-6, depending on your appetite.
RECIPE BY ELIZABETH KARMEL