A perfect a hearty meal, Shakshuka is commonly served for breakfast or brunch. However, we think it is so tasty it can be served any time during the day. Featuring poached egg in an appetizing warm bell pepper and tomato sauce mix, it is both fun and easy to make. Here is our how-to-guide for cooking yummy and delicious mini shakshukas in our French Classic Cast Iron Style Skillet.
The best thing about shakshuka is that it can be modified depending on your preferences. Customize the spice level by adding more or less jalapeño Or, play around with adding spinach and leeks if you prefer more greens. For meat lovers, add a handful of chorizo into each skillet before placing them inside the oven. Sometime Shakshuka comes with artichoke and in this recipie, we’ve added olives for an extra tang.
This recipe for yummy and delicious mini shakshukas starts by preparing the tomatoes, bell pepper, and spice base on the stovetop to later be transferred into individual French Classic Cast Iron Style Skillets to finish baking inside the oven. It is possible to take out the olives and fenugreek from this recipe.
Mini Shakshuka Recipe
- Time: 30 min
- Olive oil
- 1 large red onion, minced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 can tomato puree
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp. coriander
- 1 tbsp. turmeric
- 2 Tbsp. smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper de-seeded (optional)
- Feta cheese
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 6 eggs
- 1 avocado
- Parsley and fenugreek for garnish
- Salt to taste
- Pre-heat the oven at 375F.
- In a blender, grind red bell pepper until smooth.
- Heat olive oil in a medium-size pot, add onion and sauté until softened and almost goldish brown.
- Add minced garlic and saute for another minute. Pour in freshly ground bell pepper and let simmer for 2-3 minutes
- Stir in tomato puree, and simmer for 10 minutes on low to medium heat and stir frequently
- Mix in spices, kalamata olives and a handful of feta cheese
- After about a minute, transfer the sauce into your individual French Classic Round Eared Dishes. In each, make two wells and crack the egg into each well.
- Season with salt and pepper. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in the oven until eggs are ready for about 10 min.
- As the Shakshuka’s are baking, slice an avocado.
- Take out the Shakshuka’s from the oven and place avocado and tahini on top, sprinkle with fenugreek and parsley.
- Your delicious mini Shakshukas are ready to go!